Girnar Lili Parikrama from October 29th:Plastic,Gutkha bannedOctober 10, 2009
Girnar Lili Parikrama from October 29th:Plastic,Gutkha banned
By our correspondent
Junagadh, DeshGujarat, 10 October, 2009
Around one million Hindus will participate in Girnar’s anual Lili Parikrama(Green pradakshina or circumambulation). The 36-km parikrama will start from 29th of October and end on 2nd November. According to Gujarati Hindu calendar Parikrama starts from Kartik 11 to 15 every year.
Girnar the tallest mountain of Gujarat is 6 km. from Junagadh city. On an average, about 7 lakh devotees attend the parikrama but as Gir forest has a lush green look after good monsoon this year, it may attract one million devotees. In year 2003 Parikrama had attracted 1.2 million devotees.
According to popular belief, after winning the war at Kurukshetra, Pandavas had done the parikarma to seek God’s blessings.
As the stretch of the Parikrama passes through the forest, it is an adventurous trip for the youngsters. After the rainfall, the ponds and rivers are full of water adding to the scenic beauty of the forest and hills, so this year many more youngsters will participate in the Parikrama. Youngsters see it as solving a dual purpose. They complete a ritual as they enjoy the beauty of Gir forest.
Early this week, the district collector of Junagadh chaired a meeting to discuss the arrangements. The meeting resulted in formation of Action Group for smoother implantation of various related works.
The state transport corporation has planned to arrange 150 extra buses, 20 more than last year to accommodate extra traffic of Lili Parikrama. Railway authority is planning to add extra coaches around Parikrama schedule.
The Parikrama will commence from Girnar Taleti, night halt at Jinabava Madhi, Marvella and Bordevi and return to the starting point on the fifth day.
The forest department has put a ban on plastic bags and gutkha. Anyone found violating the ban will be fined, said forest department officials.
- Gujarat loses over 18 lakh mobile numbers in March, but Jio adds 5.71 lakh and BSNL adds 43,000 numbers
- 28 centres for counting of votes for 26 Lok Sabha, 4 assembly seats in Gujarat
- Leader of Opposition Paresh Dhanani terms those who voted for Modi as fools
- PSLV-C46 successfully launches RISAT-2B
- Rs. 100 lakh crore investment in infra sector, Rs. 25 lakh crore in farm and rural sectors: NDA resolution
- Anil Ambani to withdraw defamation suits against Congress leaders others in Ahmedabad court