Farmers to hold rally against proposed Mithivirdi nuclear plantMay 24, 2011
Farmers to hold rally against proposed Mithivirdi nuclear plant
Bhavnagar, 24 May, 2011
Farmers of Saurasthrra’s Bhavnagar district will be organizing a rally at Jasapara on 27 May to protest against proposed Mithivirdi nuclear power plant. The rally will be organized under the banner of ‘Jal Jamin Jangal Bachavo Samiti’.
According to Samiti leaders, site of proposed power station has orchards of mango, sapota,and vegetables. The plant will be constructed in about 780 hector land, and it could adversely affect about 15 km radius area through radiation.
According to former minister and local leader Shri Gordhan Zadafia, the farmers of Jasapara, Mandva and surrounding villages are against proposed power station, and they have so far not allowed any official to even carry out survey for construction of the plant.
Gordhanbhai said that 480 farmers had submitted their signatures to district collector office stating that they were not ready to give their land for nuclear power plant.
- Body of 3 lion cubs found close to Gir forests in Gujarat, forest department terms it in-fight deaths
- Through fusion process energy needs of 10 billion people can be fulfilled for 100 million years with available water and Lithium alone: DG ITER Dr Bernard Bigot in Gujarat
- 51 talukas that received less than 250 mm rain declared scarcity-hit; number of related announcements made by Gujarat govt
- Garudeshwar Weir project: Gujarat govt announces land in exchange of land, cash compensation options for those affected
- Two Sadhus of Gadhada old Swaminarayan temple booked for attempt to murder
- Congress ally MLA Chhotu Vasava opposes statue of unity project