Key CBI witness in Ishrat encounter case alleges coercionJuly 11, 2013
New Delhi, 11 July 2013
Tainted cop Satish Verma’s role in Ishrat Jahan encounter probe is questioned once again.
The Times of India report from Delhi titled as ‘was forced by Verma to sign statement’ says that R V S Mani, a former Home ministry official who had prepared the two MHA affidavits in the case, was summoned to Gandhinagar and questioned by IG, SIT, Satish Verma last month. He was subjected to a “rough” interrogation and asked to sign a statement with twisted facts.
Soon after his questioning, Mani wrote to his seniors in the urban development ministry, where he is currently posted, claiming that he was forced to sign a statement that presented facts he was not privy to. He alleged discrepancies in the facts to his knowledge and framing of the same by Verma.
Headlines Today has covered this story further, and has claimed to have possession of the letter by Mani.
Verma was a nominee of Ishrat Jahan’s mother in the SIT, formed by Gujarat high court to probe the alleged fake encounter. Verma was later made part of the CBI team which was entrusted with the case by Gujarat High Court bench comprising Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari after SIT submitted its report.
- Shah terms Gujarat polls a 'battle of prestige', appeals for uprooting Congress, 3/4th majority for BJP
- Gujarat Congress also passes unanimous resolution regarding promotion of Rahul as party president
- Congress party led by a family has been always against Gujarat and Gujaratis: Modi
- If Congress was doing so good, why 25% of its MLAs left it before election: Modi
- 15 days parole for prisoners aged 60 and above on Diwali: Gujarat govt
- CM to open Gujarat's 2nd Lion Safari park at Ambardi in Dhari taluka of Amreli tomorrow