Vadfest fame Amit Bhatnagar arrestedMarch 02, 2015
Amit Bhatnagar, organizer of Vadfest and known businessman in Vadodara was arrested today by Central Excise department for alleged tax evasion.
Bhatnagar was one 9 persons nominated by Chief Minister Anandiben Patel for clean liness drive. More details are awaited on this story.
Bhatnagar was awarded ‘Udyog Ratan’ award for 2007-08 by the Government of India. He is also one of the founders of Vadodara Marathon’ and is an Executive Committee Member of the Bal Gokulam, a children shelter established by the Government.
He is Managing Director of Vadodara headquartered family own firm Diamond Power Infrastructure Ltd.
Update: Bhatnagar was produced in court where he was granted interim bail for a bond of Rs. 25,000. He will however face trial later.
A local court has granted bail to city-based Diamond Power Cable Company’s Managing Director Amit Bhatnagar in an excise-related case, his lawyer Kaushik Bhatt said here today.
Talking to PTI here tonight, Bhatt said that the excise department had arrested his client Bhatnagar under Section 9 (1)(a) today and produced him in the court of Chief Judicial First Class Magistrate J J Prajapati.
The case is related to Bhatnagar availing excise duty benefits amounting to Rs 40 crore for purchasing “raw materials” which were allegedly never purchased.
After hearing arguments of both the sides including the prosecution, Magistrate Prajapati granted bail to Bhatnagar, the lawyer said.
Bhatnagar came under the limelight after he played a role in organising ‘VADFEST’ in January, for which the Gujarat tourism department had set up a special purpose vehicle company.
The programme was intended to promote “art and culture” in the city and make Vadodara the “cultural hub of Gujarat”.
- ACB nabs official in North Gujarat for taking bribe for sanction of house under PM housing scheme
- Gujarat govt gives in-principle approval to Bhadar river bridge, box-culvert in poll-bound Jasdan
- 3 draft TP of Ahmedabad, first draft of Pal TP scheme in Surat, Development Plan of JUDA approved
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- On tip off from NIA, Gujarat ATS nabs West Bengal linked fake currency note dealer
- Gujarat CM launches Ekta Yatra from Bardoli to create awareness about Statue of Unity