Rahul Gandhi ignored farmers in Amethi: IraniJune 03, 2015
Upping the ante against Rahul Gandhi, Union Minister Smriti Irani today slammed him for ignoring farmers in his Amethi constituency charging the Congress leader with failing to address their grievances.
Irani, who led a farmers’ delegation from Pipri village to Water Resource Minister Uma Bharti, said the villagers had boycotted the last Lok Sabha polls as neither the Congress leader nor any of his representatives visited the village which faces the wrath of river Gomti during monsoon.
“This village belongs to a Lok Sabha constituency whose MP till today has not tried to address their issue. The villagers had boycotted the polls as they had lost faith in the democratic process.
“However, I have assured them that the Narendra Modi government will try to address the issues within the democratic process and restore their faith in the system,” Irani, who had unsuccessfully contested the Lok Sabha polls from Amethi, told reporters here.
The farmers’ delegation comprised BJP’s Amethi district president Durgesh Tripathi and some villagers from Pipri.
Bharti accused Gandhi of only “using his family name” for political gains and doing little for the cause of farmers in his constituency.
“It is heartening to see that Smriti has devoted attention to Amethi. She has come to my ministry with their grievances while look at the man (Rahul) who is only making good use of his family name,” she said.
Irani, who had hit out at Gandhi earlier for allegedly doing no development of his constituency despite the Congress-led UPA government being in power for 10 years, said had he visited the Pipri village he would have realised the sufferings of the villagers.
During a visit to the constituency last month, she had attacked him on the food park issue, charging that he was more interested in protecting the interests of a business house and was ignoring the plight of farmers.
Irani said Rahul has been “missing” from his constituency and that the dreams shown by three generations of Congress can only be fulfilled by the Narendra Modi government.
- My heart had stopped beating for ten minutes, then I got back the life: Haribapa continuing to build fancy stories
- Ten booked for allegedly demanding Rs 35 lakh for not filing atrocity case
- 25 tonne Kesar mango exported so far from Talala market yard in Gujarat, auction to start on 3rd May
- Surat: Bank files cheating complaint against Mudra Yojana beneficiary for nil repayment of loan in two years
- Bruhad Mumbai Gujarati Samaj Bhavan building to be inaugurated on May 6
- Angry voice of farmers-activists echoed in stakeholders consultation meet for bullet train project in Vadodara