MJA slams Salman Khan and other Memon supportersJuly 28, 2015
Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s comments that 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon should not hang – which he withdrew after widespread outrage – have irked Mumbai jewellers, with some calling for a boycott of his movies on Tuesday.
The Mumbai Jewellers Association (MJA), which bore the brunt of the terror attacks in Zaveri Bazar, the national hub of gold and jewellery business, has taken umbrage at Khan’s “sympathetic words for a bloodthirsty terrorist”.
“I ask all these people — Salman Khan and the 40-plus other prominent personalities pleading for mercy for Memon — have they absolutely no sympathy for the 257 people who lost their lives due to the acts by Memon and his associates?” an enraged MJA vice-president Kumar Jain asked.
“Why don’t all these people speak up for those innocent victims of terror? Here is a man (Memon) who has undergone a trial, been convicted, and has lost all appeals in a case in which 257 people were killed — why show sympathy only for him?” Jain said.
The jewellery hub has been thrice targeted by terrorists — first in 1993, then in 2003 and again in 2011.
In 1993, a scooter loaded with 16 kg of RDX was found parked outside a jewellery shop but failed to explode. However a car bomb a few metres away went off and killed dozens that afternoon.
In a related development, the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, the youth wing of the BJP, has urged Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao to cancel Salman Khan’s bail for his utterances vis-a-vis Yakub Memon.
It asked how a convict now on bail could challenge the legal verdict delivered to a convicted terrorist.
- Gujarat loses over 18 lakh mobile numbers in March, but Jio adds 5.71 lakh and BSNL adds 43,000 numbers
- 28 centres for counting of votes for 26 Lok Sabha, 4 assembly seats in Gujarat
- Leader of Opposition Paresh Dhanani terms those who voted for Modi as fools
- PSLV-C46 successfully launches RISAT-2B
- Rs. 100 lakh crore investment in infra sector, Rs. 25 lakh crore in farm and rural sectors: NDA resolution
- Anil Ambani to withdraw defamation suits against Congress leaders others in Ahmedabad court