5 states including Gujarat to be added in the group of states dealing with ISISJanuary 20, 2016
The Centre is likely to add five more states to take the overall strength to 18 in a group of states which have been jointly dealing with all ISIS-related activities in the country.
Gujarat, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana are likely to be added in the existing group of 12 states and one union territory — Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Delhi, official sources said.
The group of states, in close coordination with the central government, deals with ISIS-related activities, share information and take action.
It has become necessary to include a few more states into the group as ISIS-related activities have been witnessed in these states too, the sources said.
The Delhi Police have arrested four youths from Uttarakhand for their alleged terror activities which were being done with inspiration of ISIS terror acts. Uttarakhand is yet to be part of the group of states.
On Saturday last, top security officials of 12 states and Delhi had held a meeting, which was chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, and reviewed the situation arising out of some Indian youths getting attracted towards ISIS and how to deal with the emerging challenge.
With increased activities of ISIS supporters online, the government has asked the states to remain alert against the possibility of ‘lone wolf attack’ in the country.
The threat of ISIS was discussed threadbare at the meeting of top officials of central intelligence and investigative agencies and police.
“ISIS threat is real. As per our input, the days leading to the Republic Day is crucial. We have instructed everyone to be alert against the possibility of ‘lone wolf attack’ anywhere in the country,” a senior government official had said.
A ‘lone wolf’ terrorist is one who indulges in violence in support of some group, movement or ideology but works alone, outside of any command structure and without material assistance from any group.
- In videos: Two Patidar community events at same time, one for progress, another for politics
- Coherent administration, substantial and sustainable social growth and bottom-up approach: Rupani on 4 years of Modi govt in Centre
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Eastern Peripheral Expressway and Phase -I of Delhi-Meerut Expressway
- Health department inquiry team visit Adnai run G K hospital in Bhuj even as 111 children deaths confirmed this year
- Forest Guard attacked by Lioness in Gujarat
- Son of Gujarat completes four years as PM, far longer period compared to earlier Gujarati PM Morarji Desai; Gujarat Congress protests titling it as Vishwasghat Diwas, fields Narmada tweet row fame Rajiv Satav to lead it