Gujarat govt to kick-start solar rooftop project for citizensMay 10, 2016
With an aim of scaling up the present solar power generation in Gujarat, the state government is now all set to launch its much awaited project of grid-connected rooftop solar power units, wherein residential property owners will be encouraged to install this new system.
The Solar Rooftop project was initiated by Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA), which is the state nodal agency to promote renewable energy.
In the current fiscal of 2016-17, GEDA has set a target of generating 50 megawatt (MW) of electricity by installing such rooftop solar photovoltic (SPV) units across Gujarat.
According to GEDA Director J T Akhani, the rooftop solar project is for residential consumers only.
“There are several residents who have already installed solar power generation units on their rooftops.
However, they are off-grid, as they are not connected with the electricity meter. This project is for those residential property owners who wish to connect their power units with the electricity grid,” said Akhani.
“This project of grid-connected units has been proposed in the Gujarat Solar Power Policy, announced by state government in August 2015. This year, we are planning to install units having capacity of 50 MW. The installations will be done by our channel partners, saving time and energy of consumers in finding right contractor” said Akhani.
According to him, the project of installing rooftop solar units would kick start once the identification of residential consumers as well as channel partners gets completed within couple of months.
Till now, more than 150 residential property owners have already submitted their applications to GEDA for the installation of such solar units on their rooftops, he said.
“Though the rooftop project has been given a go ahead in the solar policy of 2015, the project did not gain momentum, mainly due to the cost involved in setting up such units. Thus, we have chalked out a subsidy plan to encourage people as well as channel partners to come forward,” said Akhani.
- Chemists and drugists to observe strike on September 28 over concerns regarding online sale of medicines
- IT searches premises of construction and finance firms in Rajkot
- Aadhaar Act upheld by SC as constitutionally valid; no Aadhar for banks, mobiles, schools, private companies
- Charas worth Rs 20 lakh seized, 2 nabbed in old Ahmedabad city
- Congress spreading lies about Bullet train funding, the party would be wiped out in 2019 LS polls:Vaghani
- One more lioness die in Dalkhaniya range of Gir forests, lion deaths figure rises to 14