Shiv Bhakts throng Somnath and other temples on first Monday of Gujarati ShravanAugust 08, 2016
The largest crowd was seen at the Somnath temple in Gir-Somnath district, the first among the 12 jyotirlingas of lord Shiva, where large number of devotees made a bee-line to the temple situated on the coast of the Indian ocean since early morning amid sprinkles of monsoon rains. Special Shringar (decoration) of the sanctum-sactorum of the temple and the linga has been done.
In Devbhoomi Dwarka district, devotees also gathered in large numbers for abhishek and mahaarti at Nageshwara temple, another jyotirlinga, (one of the two in Gujarat) situated around 25 km from Dwarka town.
Special puja, abhishek and aaratis were also held in Shiva temples of Ahmedabad including Nilkanth Mahadev temple, Someshwar temple and Chakulia Mahadev temple.
In other cities and towns including Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Bharuch, Jamnagar, Mahesana, Patan, Bhavnagar, Junagadh and Amreli, Shiva temples were especially decorated for the occasion.
Devotees also observed fast on the day.
- Modi to meet Trump, Macron, Abe and 7 others for bilateral at G20
- Gujarat govt. announces 'CNG Sahbhaagi Yojana' with aim to add 300 new CNG pumps in two years
- India submits bid to host 2023 IOC session in Mumbai
- PM Modi's reply to the motion of thanks on the President's Address in the Lok Sabha
- Around 150 students of School in Surat rescued during fire in a nearby factory
- US-Iran situation one of difficult international issues, stand on the basis of national interest: MEA Jaishankar