Aseemanand furnishes bail bond in Samjhauta caseSeptember 17, 2016
Chandigarh: Swami Aseemanand, an accused in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case, today furnished a bail bond of Rs 1 lakh and two surety bonds of equal amount in a Panchkula NIA court, but he will remain in jail as he is facing trial in other blast cases.
“Aseemanand’s bail orders were earlier issued by the Punjab and Haryana High Court. Today, he submitted bail bonds before the trial court of Special Judge Gulab Singh. The court accepted the bonds,” NIA’s Special Prosecutor RK Handa said.
He, however, said Aseemanand, who is at present lodged at Ambala Central Jail in Haryana, will remain in prison as he is facing trial in other blast cases.
“Though he will be released on bail in the Samjhauta case, he will be in custody in connection with the Ajmer blast case,” he said.
Aseemanand, a member of right Hindu group ‘Abhinav Bharat’, has been in jail since December 2010. He was also named as an accused in Hyderabad Mecca Masjid and Ajmer Dargah blast cases of 2007.
On December 26, 2010, Aseemanand was arrested by CBI from Haridwar for his alleged role in the Mecca Masjid blast in which 14 persons were killed.
Aseemanand’s ashram was in Christian Missionery affected tribal district Dang in South Gujarat. He was working against Christian religious conversion. Number of Hindu-right groups have alleged that Aseemanand was framed in false case as he had become a challenge for conversion-brigade.
68 people were killed in the blasts in two coaches of Samjhauta Express train near Dewana railway station in Panipat on February 18, 2007.
With inputs from agency
- Man dies after brutally thrashed in factory in Shapar Veraval; video goes viral
- Gujarat Govt approves Rs.900-crore project to make Tapi River pollution-free; CM launches Rs 492.60 crore projects in Surat
- Rs 61.12 crore Adajan Bus Port opens in Surat
- Rupani asks NRGs in USA to support ‘Jal Sanchay Abhiyan’ in Gujarat
- Gujarat govt, NASSCOM sign MoU to set up Centre of Excellence for IOT at IITGn
- News in brief from across Gujarat