2 Patels from Ahmedabad nabbed at Delhi Airport, handed over to immigration authoritiesOctober 24, 2016
New Delhi:In a suspected case of human trafficking, a man and a woman, posing as a couple, were apprehended at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) after their plan to travel to Toronto allegedly by using fake papers was unsuccessful.
The incident was reported at about 3 AM by a foreign airline counter at terminal-III who informed the CISF security personnel that two Toronto-bound passengers went missing after handing over their check-in baggage but without taking their boarding passes. The ticket manager had raised some queries about their passports.
The Central Industrial Security Force teams on ground and on the CCTV monitoring task at the IGIA were immediately activated.
A search was initiated and footage from 3,000 cameras was scanned following which the two were seen coming out from a toilet after changing their clothes and subsequently boarding a flight to Pune. They had apparently sensed that they would not be able to travel to Toronto.
They said CISF sleuths tried to get the passengers deboarded from the Pune-bound plane but by then the flight had already hit the runway. The CISF then alerted their Pune unit who intercepted them as soon as they landed.
Meanwhile, a bomb squad was called in at IGIA to scan the two baggages that the two, booked as Amit R Chavan and Sheetal A Chavan, had left at the airline counter.
Officials said they disclosed to CISF personnel at Pune that they were not married and were allegedly trying to emigrate to Toronto using fake passports whose authenticity was doubted by the airlines staff.
Sensing trouble they slipped into the domestic terminal and got flight tickets to Pune.
“The two were later identified as Ahmedabad based K Patel and M Patel and they were handed over to immigration authorities in Delhi. It looks to be a suspected case of human trafficking,” they said.
It was later disclosed that an agent who had allegedly helped the duo in preparing fake international travel papers was present in the terminal area on the pretext of taking a flight but later got himself offloaded citing health issues.
- Students in H K Arts college protest after flaw in question paper, internal exam to be re-conducted
- Rotten gram with insects found in Anganwadi center; Smriti Irani asks collector to probe and take strict action
- Alpesh Thakor threatens violent agitation against industrial units in Vithlapur
- A lioness and a cub die in Dalkhaniya range of Gir forest in last 24 hours, number of lion deaths reaches 13
- BJP MLA speaks against paid-garba, terms it a loot of sorts in the name of mother goddess
- Air Show in Vadodara on Air Force day, to end with enthralling sky-diving display