Low Shelf-Life not to be a problem for first of its kind Camel Chocolate project of Amul: MD RatnamOctober 04, 2017
The Kaira District Co-operative Milk Producers Union Limited (KDCMPUL) popularly known as Amul Dairy today said that the said low shelf-life of camel milk won’t be a problem for its ‘first-in-India’ camel milk Chocolate project.
MD of Amul Dr K Rathnam said that the camel milk chocolate would first be launched in the market in just single category before Diwali and later two or three more variants would be marketed.
‘Currently we are making the chocolates in our old chocolate plant which was built in 1973 and has a capacity of only 300 tonnes per year. But by October 25 we would commission our new 1500 tonnes per annum capacity chocolate plant here. The camel milk chocolate along with other 40 types of regular chocolates would then be made in the new state-of-the-art factory,’ Ratnam said.
He said that the low self life of camel milk won’t be a problem as it is used in dry powder and spray form for making chocolate which has a much longer shelf life.
Ratnam said that the camel milk for the project would be procured through Sarhad Dairy in Kutch and it would also help increase the income of camel owners and farmers.
Earlier the MD of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation the umbrella cooperative body of various diaries, which owns brand Amul, R S Sodhi had said that in the first phase, the camel milk chocolate will be made available through some 2 lakh retail outlets across the country.
Notably, looking at the self life issues the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) last year approved camel milk as a food item with specific standards for sale and trade.
Dr Ratnam said that the medicinal properties of camel milk and its benefits in various diseases would also be used for promoting the chocolate.
- 36.89% storage across 204 reservoirs in Gujarat; 19 put on high alert
- Industries and business in Gujarat suffer estimated loss of over 1500 crores due to truck operators strike
- Phoenix Mills Ltd - Bsafal Joint Venture to acquire and develop 5.16 acre land on SG Highway in Ahmedabad
- Himalaya, Ahmedabad One Mall make parking free
- John Abraham participates in shooting of Raw in Junagadh, Pakistan like look given to shooting-locations
- Citizens in Ahmedabad participate in rally against 'Love-Jihad'