MPEDA holds meeting with Gujarat’s seafood industry stakeholders for boosting exportsOctober 12, 2017
Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India, today organized a first-of-its-kind interaction here with stakeholders from the seafood sector in Gujarat for stepping up its efforts to increase the share of value added products in total marine exports from 17 per cent to 30 per cent.
Gujarat state government officials, aquaculture farmers, exporters and hatchery owners were among those who participated in the meeting.
As many as 20 aquaculture farmers participated in the event, which also offered a platform for them to establish direct linkages with exporters. MPEDA Chairman Dr A Jayathilak said that such meetings will benefit farmers directly and avoid the intermediaries from the scene.
‘Seafood export in 2016-17 reached a record 5.8 billion US dollars. The trends in the ongoing financial year are just as encouraging, with a projected increase of 10 per cent to 12 per cent,” the Chairman said during his address.
MPEDA has formed 600 farmer clusters across the country under the National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA).
“These clusters are completely under the guidance of MPEDA and they will help us to export quality marine products. Moreover, the setup is such that it provides 100 per cent traceability to quality issues in the farms. Such initiatives will help give a major fillip to the export of quality seafood,” Dr. Jayathilak added.
Observing the prospects of the seafood export industry, Dr. Ajaykumar, District Collector, Gir-Somnath highlighted that the district administration would extend every kind of support possible to enhance the sea food trade from the state.
Piyushbhai Fofandi of All India Sea Food Exporters Association also spoke during the event. the formal meeting was followed by Buyer-Seller interactions.
- BJP MLA speaks against paid-garba, terms it a loot of sorts in the name of mother goddess
- Air Show in Vadodara on Air Force day, to end with enthralling sky-diving display
- Assam Congress tweet links Gujaratis to fraud crimes; attracts sharp reactions in response
- Railways transport trucks loaded with goods from Gujarat to South India in new Ro-Ro service
- Rahul Gandhi's claim on SPG - RSS a lie: MHA issues clarification
- Foundation stone laid for 44 km 6-lane conversion of Sarkhej - Gandhinagar - Chiloda highway