Mandavia, Rupala BJP candidates for Gujarat Rajya Sabha poll, Jaitley shifted to UPMarch 07, 2018
New Delhi: Out of four Rajya Sabha seats in Gujarat that are soon going to be vacant due to expiry of terms of existing four Rajya Sabha MP, two are winnable for ruling BJP.
BJP has decided to field existing Rajya Sabha MPs from Gujarat and Ministers of State in the Centre Parshottam Rupala and Mansukh Mandavia on these two seats.
Each candidate would need at least 38 first preferential votes to make it to the House of Elders.
In December polls, the BJP was able to retain power with only 99 seats as against 77 of the Congress.
Existing Rajya Sabha MP from Gujarat, Shankarbhai Vegad will retire on expiry of his term, while another Gujarat MP in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has been shifted to Uttar Pradesh for renewal of his 6-year term. Jaitley is union Finance minister and leader of upper house.
The announcements of names of candidate today are on expected lines.
Congress is yet to announce its two candidates for 4-seat Rajya Sabha poll in Gujarat.
- Vajpayee on life supporting system, condition worsens and critical, Modi reaches AIIMS
- Vadodara based bank fraud case accused Nitin Sandesara arrested in Dubai
- Good news for water-starved Gujarat, met issues heavy to very heavy rainfall warning from August 17
- Rupani to visit Ahmedabad Metro tunnel boring work on Thursday
- After a year, tail-end story of tallest hoisted tricolor in Gujarat
- Here are the announcements made by Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani in Independence Day speech