Mandavia, Rupala BJP candidates for Gujarat Rajya Sabha poll, Jaitley shifted to UPMarch 07, 2018
New Delhi: Out of four Rajya Sabha seats in Gujarat that are soon going to be vacant due to expiry of terms of existing four Rajya Sabha MP, two are winnable for ruling BJP.
BJP has decided to field existing Rajya Sabha MPs from Gujarat and Ministers of State in the Centre Parshottam Rupala and Mansukh Mandavia on these two seats.
Each candidate would need at least 38 first preferential votes to make it to the House of Elders.
In December polls, the BJP was able to retain power with only 99 seats as against 77 of the Congress.
Existing Rajya Sabha MP from Gujarat, Shankarbhai Vegad will retire on expiry of his term, while another Gujarat MP in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has been shifted to Uttar Pradesh for renewal of his 6-year term. Jaitley is union Finance minister and leader of upper house.
The announcements of names of candidate today are on expected lines.
Congress is yet to announce its two candidates for 4-seat Rajya Sabha poll in Gujarat.
- When thousands of people formed image of Goddess Ambika through oil lamps in garba ground
- Dy CM Nitin Patel terms Gohil's ultimatum to CM a cheap publicity stunt
- RIL announces strategic investment in and partnership with Den Networks Ltd and Hathway Cable and Datacom Ltd
- 18,000 slokas of 12 Skandhs of Shrimad Bhagwat Shridhari Tika translated in Gujarati by Ahmedabad based author
- Indian Coast guard saves 2 fishing boats with 19 aboard from being caught by Pak marines off Gujarat coast
- Nakhatrana town observes bandh against BAMSEF propaganda against Hindu beliefs and Gods