Indefinite Fast demanding national status to Sardar Patel’s native Karamsad ends after BJP president Jeetu Vaghani’s assuranceMay 02, 2018
The indefinite fast in Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s native place Karamsad under the banner of Sardar Hitrakshak Samiti demanding national status for the central Gujarat town, reportedly ended on the third day today after BJP president Jeetu Vaghani reached the spot and assured those sitting on fast about positive action on their demand.
Interestingly, BJP took prompt action to end the fast hours before PAAS leader Hardik Patel was to visit Karamsad apparently in an attempt to take political mileage from the issue.
Vaghani, along with Anand collector and local BJP MP Dilip Patel arrived Karamsad and reached the spot near Sardar Patel statue where the fast was started on April 30.
He ended the fast by providing juice to Samiti’s head Jagdishbhai and others after assurance to them about action on their demand.
He later told newsmen that BJP and its government was always with the sentiments of the people on the issue. He said that Congress which had insulted Sardar Patel has no right to speak for him. There should be no politics in his name.
Notably a successful bandh in Karamsad was also organized yesterday on the issue.Local business community also spontaneously supported the bandh which evoked wide response.
The Committee had demanded that Karmsad must be given national status on the lines of Porbandar which was given the special status more than a decade ago but Karmsad was ignored. It was demanding special status for the town by including it under the centrally-sponsored Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNRUM). Porbandar was given the same way back in 2008-09.
Notably, Sardar Patel, who was born in Nadiad had spend his childhood in Karamsad and got early education there.
- Jio parters with Star to provide India-Cricket content to Jio users
- Emami Paper Mills Ltd to invest 2,000 crore in Gujarat; foundation stone laid for the plant in Bhauch
- None of 11 lions found dead in 2 ranges of Gir East forest were infected by virus:Gujarat Forest department chief
- PM Modi may visit Gujarat again in next fortnight
- SMC standing committee completes formality about rise in corporators salary
- Rahul's statement against PM shows his sanskar and also that he can lie in parliament: Smriti Irani in Surat