Mahant of temple in Rajkot, who was accused of rape and jailed, commits suicideJune 07, 2018
A 73 year old Mahant (Chief Priest) of a temple here, who was made accused of rape with a 30 year old woman around two and a half years ago and was also jailed in this connection today committed suicide.
Police said that Magandas Mohandas Nimawat, mahant of Jokiya Hanuman temple behind Raiyadhar hanged himself in his residence in the temple premises.
He was on bail in the rape case which was lodged in December 2015. His son Dinesh M Nimawat claimed that his father has left a suicide note in which he has claimed that he was implicated in the rape case and the accused and her husband were demanding Rs 25 lakh for resolution.
Police, however, said that a brief suicide note has been found but it was not readable.
- Congress president Rahul Gandhi reacts to 5 State assembly poll results
- PM Narendra Modi reacts to five-state assembly election results
- Car bangs the international terminal in Ahmedabad, driver slapped with heavy fine
- Shaktikant Das appointed new RBI Governor for three years
- Lioness in Devaliya Safari Park of Gujarat dies
- Jio to become India's No 1 telecom operator by 2021: Bernstein report