Asaram moves mercy plea to Rajasthan governorSeptember 11, 2018
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram, who was convicted for raping a minor girl, has sent a mercy plea to the governor of Rajasthan seeking dilution of his life sentence.
On April 25, a Jodhpur court had sentenced Asaram to life in prison after finding him guilty of raping a teenage girl in his ashram five years ago.
Challenging the sentence, Asaram had moved high court on July 2 but the petition is yet to be listed for hearing.
Governor Kalyan Singh, who recently received Asaram’s mercy plea, sent it to the home department seeking a detailed report on the plea.
According to his mercy plea, Asaram has pleaded for dilution in his life sentence terming it to be a “gruelling” punishment and citing his age.
The department then forwarded the plea to the Jodhpur Central Jail administration, which, in turn, has sought a report from the district administration and police.
After receipt of this report, the jail administration will send it to the Director General (Jail) of Rajasthan.
The 16-year-old girl had said in her complaint that Asaram had called her to his ashram in the Manai area near Jodhpur and raped her on the night of August 15, 2013.
The teenager from Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh was studying at Asaram’s ashram in Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh.
- Boating facility to be developed for tourists visiting Statue of Unity
- Passengers sit on dharna at departure terminal of Ahmedabad airport protesting delay in flight
- Raas dance video viral in name of Morarji Desai is fake; it hasn't Morarji Desai in it
- DyCM, BJP MP hit out at selfstyle Adivasi outfit for opposing the statue of unity project
- 305 kg heroin smuggling case: Gujarat ATS nabs another accused from Kashmir with suspected links with terrorists
- News in brief from across Gujarat (updated)