President’s nod to EWS Quota BillJanuary 12, 2019
New Delhi:President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday gave his approval to the Constitution (124th) Amendment Bill, 2019 that provides for giving 10 per cent reservation in educational institutions and jobs to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) sections of citizens.
This paves the way for the Bill to become law after governments frames the Rules.
The Bill which was cleared by the Union Cabinet on January 8, was passed by Lok Sabha on January 9.
It was approved by Rajya Sabha on January 9 after which it was sent to the President for his nod.
The sitting of Rajya Sabha was extended by a day to pass the Bill which received support of majority of parties in both the Houses.
The Bill was piloted by Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment who said that it in no way impinges on the existing reservations for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Castes.
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- GPCB orders closure of 7 industrial units for continuous violation of discharge norms
- After withdrawing MFN status to Pakistan, India raise import duty on Pakistani goods by 200%
- 2 workers of Jindal Saw Ltd's pipe making plant in Kutch of Gujarat die as melted iron falls on them
- Rs 43.28 lakh loot in Axis bank in rural Gandhinagar, looters fire gun shot at one employee
- Aansu ka pura pura jawab liya jayenga, koi kasar chhodi nahi jayengi, the world will experience new India now: PM Modi at Dhule