Principal of Mevani’s Alma-mater resign after college’s annual function with Vadgam MLA as chief guest cancelledFebruary 11, 2019
Ahmedabad: The principal of H K Arts College, the Alma-mater of Congress backed independent MLA in Gujarat Jignesh Mevani, here Hemant Shah has resigned after the cancellation of the annual function of his educational institution today following non-allotment of the auditorium by the college trust due to alleged threats of protest by right-wing supported students as the legislator from Vadgam seat was made the chief guest of the event.
Shah told newsmen here that the annual event in which Mewani was to deliver speech as the chief guest was to be held today.
‘But it was unfortunately cancelled as the college trust under political pressure refused to give the auditorium for the purpose. Even I and the vice principal along with the trustees had received threats from BJP associated students of Gujarat University after we invited Mewani, a former student of the college as a chief guest for the event. We were forced to cancel the event. I can’t remain a mute spectator of this stifling of the constitutional right of freedom of expression. I have resigned from the post against the attitude of the trust in the matter who has succumbed under the political pressure,’ he said.
Meanwhile, Mevani also condemned the cancellation of the event and applauded the heroic step of the principal.
- Live: Lok Sabha general elections 2019 results
- Rajkot BJP will not celebrate Lok Sabha victory in view of demise of rival Congress candidate's son
- MHA asks States/UTs to take adequate security measures in connection with counting of votes
- Amit Shah asks six questions to opposition parties over their EVM cry
- Gujarat loses over 18 lakh mobile numbers in March, but Jio adds 5.71 lakh and BSNL adds 43,000 numbers
- 28 centres for counting of votes for 26 Lok Sabha, 4 assembly seats in Gujarat