Gujarat HC quashes stay on conviction and sentence of Bhaga BaradMarch 15, 2019
Ahmedabad: In a setback to Congress leader Bhaga Barad, the Gujarat high court today quashed the stay on his conviction and sentence that had been granted by a session court of Sutrapada in mineral theft cast.
Justice Soniaben Gokani of Gujarat High Court found the stay order was without any reason. Barad will need to go back to sessions court next.
Barad, an ex Congress MLA from Talala seat, was convicted and sentenced to two years imprisonment by a court in Gir-Somnath district in a case of illegal mining case. Days later he was disqualified as an MLA by assembly Speaker under the provisions of section 8 of Representation of People Act and related verdict by Supreme Court. He has also challenged it also alleging it was politically motivated.
- Live: Lok Sabha general elections 2019 results
- Rajkot BJP will not celebrate Lok Sabha victory in view of demise of rival Congress candidate's son
- MHA asks States/UTs to take adequate security measures in connection with counting of votes
- Amit Shah asks six questions to opposition parties over their EVM cry
- Gujarat loses over 18 lakh mobile numbers in March, but Jio adds 5.71 lakh and BSNL adds 43,000 numbers
- 28 centres for counting of votes for 26 Lok Sabha, 4 assembly seats in Gujarat