3 Gujaratis among 5 PIOs confirmed dead in New Zealand shootingsMarch 17, 2019
The Indian High Commission in New Zealand has confirmed the death of five Persons of India Origin including three Gujaratis in the deadly terror attack on two mosques in Christchurch that in all had left at least 49 dead and more than 40 injured.
In a tweet the High Commission said that Mehboob Khokhar (aged around 64 and resident of Juhapura in Ahmedabad city), Asif Vora (58) and his son Ramiz (28) (both residents of Memon Colony in Vadodara) have died.
The other two deceased PIOs were Ansi Alibava (25 yrs, Kerala) and Ozair Kadir (25, Hyderabad).
Notably Khokhar a retired officer of Gujarat Electricity board had gone to New Zealand with wife Akhtar Begum to meet Son Imran. Asif, an insurance agent from Vadodara has also gone to Christchurch with wife Rukhsana to take care of the pregnant wife of Ramiz who had recently given birth to a girl.
- PM Modi, BJP chief Amit Shah at BJP headquarters after historic Lok Sabha victory
- Amid Modi's Tsunami, BJP wins all the 26 seats of his home-state Gujarat again, 15 with a margin of more than 3 lakh votes, Shah registers record win in Gandhinagar
- I accept moral responsibility of defeat all seats of Gujarat: Amit Chavda
- PM removes Chowkidar prefix from his twitter handle, explains the reason
- Two seats of Rajya Sabha in Gujarat to fall vacant as Shah, Smriti elected to Lok Sabha
- BJP wins all four assembly seats in Gujarat by-polls