Ganesh procession attacked for one hour in Borsad,7 murthy broken,30 injuredSeptember 23, 2010
Ganesh procession attacked for one hour in Borsad,7 murthy broken,30 injured
Ahmedabad, 23 September, 2010
More than fifty persons were injured in central Gujarat town Borsad after Ganesh immersion procession was attacked in Muslim dominated Nagina Mosque area on Wednesday. Local police fired 13 rounds in air and lobbed more than 20 tear gas shells to control the attack on Ganesh procession.
According to police sources, a procession consisting 23 Ganesh murti departed from Gandhi Ganj area at 10.30 in the morning. When the procession reached Nagina mosque, the local police inspector, DySP and some Muslim leaders welcomed it. However when about 11 murtis passed from this place, tha attack on the procession started. Plenty of stones were pelted continuously on the procession, acid bulb and burning objects were also thrown.
About seven Ganesha Murti were broken, and 30 Hindus were injured. The Hindus started protecting themselves using steel and aluminum utensils, but the stone pelting was so heavy that even metal utensils were broken. Police fired rounds in the air and also lobbed the tear gas shells, but the attack discontinued only when all Hindus left the place to rescue self from an attack. The whole event of attack continued for an hour.
The Policemen were shocked due to sudden attack, because Muslim leaders had initially supported the cops and welcomed the Ganesha idols.
The area is constituency of central Congress minister Bharatsinh Solanki.
Also read related stories from archive
- Gujarat govt. not to organize Shala Praveshotsav this year
- Gujarat govt to amend law for ban on e-cigarettes
- A committee to look into One Nation, One Election initiative
- School vans in Ahmedabad to remain on strike tomorrow: Vardhi Association
- Another incident of blast in mobile phone battery in Gujarat
- Temperatures to rise by 2 to 3 °C in the next two days, feeling of humid hotness to increase: Met