Narendra Modi’s man Asit Vora is new Mayor of AhmedabadOctober 31, 2010
Narendra Modi’s man Asit Vora is new Mayor of Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad, 31 October, 2010
Asit Ravindraprasad Vora is new Mayor of Ahmedabad.
His name was declared for this post today morning at BJP headquarter in presence of all elected councillors of BJP and several party leaders including Rajya Sabha MP Surendra Patel, and city BJP President Rakesh Shah. All male councillars present in the meeting were wearing saffron turban, while women councilors were wearing saffron saree.
Vora was Standing Committee Chairman in last term. Vora is a municipal councilor from the Maninagar ward, which comes under the Assembly constituency of Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Asit Vora works as PRO in Ahmedabad’s Arvind Mills.
He has vast experience of representating various committees of the AMC in past years. He has been Chairman of Octroi, Tax, Road Building, AMTS, and lastly Standing Committee.
Vora is one of the senior most councilors of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. He was first elected in 1987 when BJP came to power in AMC for the first time in history and Brahmin Jayendra Pandit became the first BJP Mayor in Gujarat. Vora is Brahmin, and after Jayendra Pandit he is the first male Brahmin Mayor of Ahmedabad. Modi has crushed his anti-Brahmin image by selecting Vora as Mayor.
Meanwhile, the party has declared Corporator Darshna Vaghela’s name for Deputy Mayor’s post. Vaghela is woman councilor from Dusheshvar ward.
In another development councilor Gautam Shah’s name has been announced as new leader of ruling party in Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. Shah is councilor elected from city’s Naranpura ward.
None of the main four posts is allotted to new councilor. Asit Vora, Darshna Vaghela, Gautam Shah and new Standing Committee Chairman Bhupendra Patel are all elected before also.
- At least 11, mostly Gujaratis dead, over 35 injured in two bus mishaps
- After review meeting CM Rupani says, extensive relief/rescue operations on, 214 saved
- Amid latest spell of heavy downpour Gujarat crosses half way mark of seasonal rain percentage
- Gujarat cadre IFS Bharat Lal appointed Joint Secretary to President of India
- Heavy rain in parts of Gujarat, several dams full, rescue operations launched, some major highways closed
- Forecast for rapid rise in water levels of rivers in Gujarat, MP, Rajasthan during 21-24 July