Gujarati Sugam and Bhakti sangit’s veteran artist Harshidaben Rawal passes awayJuly 25, 2017
Ahmedabad: Gujarati Sugam and Bhajan sangeet’s veteran artist Harshidaben Janardanbhai Rawal is no more. She passed away last night in Ahmedabad.
Harshida and Janardan Rawal duo were introduced to people of Gujarat for the first time through their song ‘Keva re malela man na mel’ that they first sung in Shruti institution’s programme and later in Gujarati film ‘Kashi no dikro’.
Hailing form Limbdi, Harsidhaben was daughter of Manishankar Vyas who was also vocal artist. As a student in Gujarat College of Ahmedabad, her Guru was Rasbihari Desai. Avinash Vyas recorded her song ‘Eke Lal Darwaje tambu taniya re lol’ in Mumbai for which Harshidaben received best playback singer award.
The State government presented five awards to Harsidhaben for best playback singer in Gujarati films.
Some of the most popular songs by Harsidaben are ‘Mari sheriethi kankunvar avta re lol’, ‘Piyu maro lilo lajamni no chhod’, ‘Haju rasbhar rat to baki rahi gayi’, ‘Hu to gai ti melama’, ‘Maro sonano ghaduliyo re’ and ‘Gormane panche angaliye’.
Harshidaben’s husband Janardanbhai was also famous singer. Both met through Rasbihari Desai who was Guru of Harshidaben and friend of Janardanbhai.
Harshidaben was in later stage influenced by Chaitanyaprabhu and therefore she shifted from Sugam sangeet to Bhakti sangeet. She would sing the creations of Tulsi, Mira, Kabir, Surdas etc.
Archive video featuring felicitation of Harshida and Janardan Rawal by the City of Amdavad
- Former Gujarat minister joins Congress
- Gujarat CM opens hostel and school, presents kits and assistance to 4,500 elderly poor citizens
- Mahamana Express to cut time of journey between Vadodara and Varanasi by 7 hours: Piyush Goyal
- One lakh Pradhan Mantri LPG Panchayats to be held; launch in Gujarat tomorrow
- Toll collection on new Narmada river bridge in Bharuch as per rule, no norm violated: NHAI
- One of 17 Skill Training Centres approved by GoI for Gujarat opens at Morbi