Gujarat extends Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna by five yearsJanuary 31, 2011
Gujarat extends Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna by five years
Gandhinagar, 31 January, 2011
Enthused by the success of four-year-old Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna, Gujarat Chief Minister Chief Minister Narendra Modi today directed all the departments concerned to prepare 2nd Generation Advance Planning for qualitative improvement of tribal people living in the forest areas during the next five years.
Addressing the state-level Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna Review Committee, Mr. Modi said the objective of the novel project is to make the tribal people self-reliant, rather than force them to be perpetually dependent on the government assistance. The project has deservedly drawn the attention of the entire country too, he said.
Out of Rs.15,000-crore earmarked for the five-year programme during the last four years, he said, over Rs.12,907-crore has already been spent with visible results. It is being extended by another five years.
The project has helped 2.37-lakh tribal in skill development and 86,300 youth self-employed, resulting in 3.45-lakh tribal families rising above the Below Poverty Level (BPL). So far 145 secondary schools and 33 technical centres have been opened in tribal areas. While 1.95-lakh tribal people have been brought under pension scheme, 2.75-lakh BPL families have been provided pucca houses.
The meeting was attended by Tribal Welfare Minister Mangubhai Patel, other Ministers, Parliamentary Secretaries, Chief Secretary and senior officers of all the departments concerned, MPs and MLAs.
- Rupani protests classist tweet against PM Modi, Congress removes it
- Coast Guard rescues 6 fishermen from capsized boat near Indo-Pak Maritime border off Gujarat coast
- PM likely to start Gujarat campaign from November 27 for first phase polling areas
- JDU candidate with similar name poses a new kind of challenge for Chhotu Vasava
- Political developments today in brief ( Updated at 6.00 pm )
- Former Congress minister in Kutch leaves party, will contest on NCP ticket