Naran Rathwa and Amiben Yagnik are Congress candidates for two seats of Rajya SabhaMarch 12, 2018
New Delhi: Former union minister Naran Rathwa and lawyer Amiben Yagnik are Congress candidates for two seats of Rajya Sabha in Gujarat. Both names were declared late in the evening on Sunday. Based on its seat strength in Gujarat assembly, the Congress party is in capacity to elect two candidates. Election of both Mr. Rathwa and Miss Amiben is now just formality. BJP has declared Parshottam Rupala and Mansukh Madnavia as its candidates for two seats it is capable to win in Gujarat. All four candidates are going to win the Rajya Sabha election unopposed.
Naran Rathwa, a Rathwa tribal leader of Congress is based in Chhota Udepur. He lost Lok Sabha election in 2014. During the Congress-led UPA, he was made minister of state for Railways. Naran Rathwa is believed to be a part of old Chimanbhai Patel led Janata Dal Gujarat faction of Gujarat Congress. His wife and son both lost local civi election of Chhota Udepur recently. Rathwa has ben in controversy linked to his alleged second marriage with a woman based in Amreli. Amiben Yagnik is lawyer in Gujarat assembly and largely seen in TV debate. She was State Congress spokesperson.
There were several aspirants in Gujarat Congress eyeing for party president Rahul Gandhi’s nod for their selection as Rajya Sabha candidate. Party’s Dalit leader PK Valera, former IPS Kuldeep Sharma were some of the persons who had sought Rajya Sabha ticket. In the media, Deepak Babariya and Sam Pitroda were mentioned as possible Congress candidates.
- #ISupportKarnavati trends nationally number one on Twitter
- Over 6 lakh complete Lili parikrama even before formal start, 6 die of heart attack so far
- Congress declares incharge for each of 26 Lok Sabha seats in Gujarat
- Rupani reviews scarcity situation in Kutch
- ACB nabs Deputy Director of ESIC office taking bribe for issuing certificate to factory owner
- New jumbo State organisation body of Gujarat Congress announced