MS University to give Buddha relics to Sri Lanka on loanApril 07, 2018
Vadodara: MS University syndicate meeting took decision to give Lord Buddha’s ashes to Sri Lanka on loan.
The decision was taken after union Culture ministry gave assurance for safety of ashes.
Lord Buddha’s ashes is proud possession with M S University’s Department of Archaeology and Ancient History.
In late 1950s, a team of archaeologists from MSU had guessed that a ‘stupa’ and a ‘vihara’ were lying beneath two mounds in Devni Mori, a village in North Gujarat that was going to be submerged in 1957 for construction of a dam. It was on January 14, 1963, that the relic casket containing bodily remains of ‘Dashabala’ (Buddha) was discovered. A line on the inscription on the casket identified the relics within: Dashabala Sharira Nilayaha – This is the abode of the relics of Dashabala.
- Senior leaders are sidelined and neglected, I have sought time to meet Rahul Gandhi next week: Kunvarji Bavalia
- Court in Gujarat awards 10 years jail term to 2 including Talati for taking Rs 200 bribe
- RTO drive against fancy noisy modified silencers of bikes in Surat
- Centre issues gazette notification for immigration check posts at Surat airport
- Rupani to launch Shala Praveshotsav-2018 for urban areas on Friday from Gandhinagar
- Monsoon likely to set foot in Gujarat next week