Organ donations rise to 817 from 448 cases in Gujarat in past two yearsMarch 15, 2023
New Delhi: Organ donations in the state of Gujarat have risen to 817 numbers as of December 31, 2022 from 448 cases as of 2020 calendar year end. During this period, organ donations from living persons increased to 669 from 345 cases in Gujarat, while those from deceased persons went up from 103 in 2020 end to 148 cases as of 2022 end. On an all-India basis during this period, total number of organ donations increased from 7519 to 13,695 cases. In terms of the registered pledges for organ donations, Gujarat had 8,996 pledges while the total number of pledges for the whole country stood at 4,48,582.
This information was provided by Union Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Bharati Pravin Pawar in Rajya Sabha on March 14, 2023 while replying to a question raised by member of parliament Shri Parimal Nathwani.
Shri Nathwani wanted to know about the steps taken by Government for promoting organ donations in the country as well as the number of organ donations taken place in India in the last three years and how many people have registered themselves for organ donation.
Various steps are being taken by the Government so as to increase awareness on organ donation in India according to the statement of the minister. These include dissemination of information through multiple physical, TV, digital and social media channels and programmes by NOTTO (National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization), ROTTO (Regional Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisations) and SOTTOs (State Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisations). The Government has decided to do away with the domicile requirement of the state for registration of patients requiring organ transplantation from deceased donor. Also, as per the new government guidelines, the upper age limit of 65 years for eligibility for registration to receive deceased donor organ has been removed. DeshGujarat
- PM Narendra Modi virtually dedicates Phase 1B infra of IIT Gandhinagar
- Congress leader Dharmendra Patel (Dhamabhai) quits party in Ahmedabad
- Four BJP candidates in Gujarat declared elected to Rajya Sabha unopposed
- Top 7 Things to Experience on Your Malaysia Family Trip
- A Police constable with a liquor bottle in dark glass car; Video goes viral
- Ten Congress MLAs suspended for a day from the State assembly in Gujarat
- Surat - Dubai Air India Express flight's timings to change post 31st March; Indigo flight from Feb 24