25 lakh registrations, 7 lakh women players, Rs 25 crore prizes: Khel Mahakumbh 2012 kicks offJanuary 18, 2013
Surat, 18 January 2013
Gujarat Chief Minister Shri Narendra Modi today inaugurated the latest edition of annual sports extravaganza Khel Mahakumbh 2012-13 in Surat. The Chief Minister welcomed the Khel Mahakumbh torch and district-wise march past of the sportsmen.
Modi said that due to model code of conduct effective in the state, the 2012 edition of Khel Mahakumbh had to be postponed, and it is taking place now, and the government will organize the 2013 edition of Khel Mahakumbh also during this year.
Modi said, the Gujarat government has taken a decision to continue to mark one more year as Yuva Shakti year on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
Khel Mahakumbh 2013 has attracted 25.50 lakh registrations from across the state. Seven lakh of them are women, while one lakh are differently able persons.
Khel Mahakumbh which covers 21 games, is scheduled to conclude on 11 February. Total prizes to be distributed to winners are worth Rs 25 crore.
- Heavy rain and flood: 14 airlifted, 6,360 shifted to safer places, 3 deaths in Gujarat on Saturday
- Gujarat BJP announces helpline number for heavy rain situation
- Army rescues 35 from food affected Kuda village in Surendranagar
- At least 11, mostly Gujaratis dead, over 35 injured in two bus mishaps
- After review meeting CM Rupani says, extensive relief/rescue operations on, 214 saved
- Amid latest spell of heavy downpour Gujarat crosses half way mark of seasonal rain percentage