Holy month of Shravan begins, Gujarat gears up for series of festivalsAugust 07, 2013
By our correspondent, Somnath, 7 August 2013
Holy month of Shravan begins today. Besides thousands of small Shiv mandirs, Gujarat has two Jyotirlinga – Shri Somnath mahadev mandir at Somnath and Nageshwar mandir near Dwarka. Both will attract lacs of visitors during the holy month which ends at 5th of September.
The month of Shravan will witness several festivals. Raksha bandhan will be celebrated on 20th of August, Nag panchami on 25th, Janmashtami will be celebrated on 28th. If we consider other public holidays and festivals which are not related to Shravan but falls in Shravan this year – Ramzan Eid will be celebrated on 9th of August, Independence day on 15th and Parsi new year Pateti on 18th.
During Shravan month, large section of Hindus in Gujarat observe fasts. Many sants and sadhus choose to consume only fruits and milk during this entire month. Some Hindus choose to grow beard. Particularly on every Monday, Shiv mandirs attract large number of visitors. Many of them offer milk to Shivalinga. At Somnath, one has to be ready to stand in a long queue for darshan particularly on Mondays of Shravan month. Many villages witness fairs during Shravan, particularly on the last Monday of Shravan.
Track all news and features of Shravan month on http://deshgujarat.com/tag/shravan .We have escalated ‘faith’ category to front page ajex menu for easy accessing of religious news and features.
Photos of Somnath mandir on first day of Shravan
- Gujarat govt to purchase ground nut at support price of 900 per 20 kg
- Gujarat BJP announces three organizational appointments
- Union P&NG Minister and Gujarat CM launch One lakh PM’s LPG Panchayats at Gandhinagar
- Balancing our energy needs and environmental conservations is a challenge: Mukesh Ambani at PDPU
- Rahul to start first leg of Navsarjan Gujarat yatra in poll bound Gujarat from Dwarka
- Whale found on the shore in Gujarat 3 days back and put back in sea, dead