Kanchi Kamakoti Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati passes awayFebruary 28, 2018
Gandhinagar: Shankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Mutt, Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal passed away today. He was 82. He was hospitalized due to complain regarding breathing problem. He was given the title of Jayendra Saraswati in 1954. He became 69th Shankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam after Shri Chandrashekharendra Saraswati Swamigal in 2994.
The junior pontiff, Sri Sankara Vijayendra Saraswathi will be the 70th Jagadguru of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a series of tweets said, “Deeply anguished by the passing away of Acharya of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Jagadguru Pujyashri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya. He will live on in the hearts and minds of lakhs of devotees due to his exemplary service and noblest thoughts. Om Shanti to the departed soul.”
“Jagadguru Pujyashri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya was at the forefront of innumerable community service initiatives. He nurtured institutions which transformed the lives of the poor and downtrodden,” he added.
- ACB nabs engineer in central Gujarat taking Rs 30 thousand bribe from contractor
- Union cabinet approves phase-2 of Ahmedabad Metro rail project
- Rupani launches common number ‘112 Emergency Helpline Services’ in Gujarat
- PM to inaugurate Ahmedabad Metro train project on March 4
- Pulwama attack masterminded by Jaish, ISI: 15 corps commander LT Gen KJS Dhillon
- 'Pakistan will not think twice to retaliate back if India retaliates': Imran Khan