Kanchi Kamakoti Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati passes awayFebruary 28, 2018
Gandhinagar: Shankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Mutt, Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal passed away today. He was 82. He was hospitalized due to complain regarding breathing problem. He was given the title of Jayendra Saraswati in 1954. He became 69th Shankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam after Shri Chandrashekharendra Saraswati Swamigal in 2994.
The junior pontiff, Sri Sankara Vijayendra Saraswathi will be the 70th Jagadguru of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a series of tweets said, “Deeply anguished by the passing away of Acharya of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Jagadguru Pujyashri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya. He will live on in the hearts and minds of lakhs of devotees due to his exemplary service and noblest thoughts. Om Shanti to the departed soul.”
“Jagadguru Pujyashri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya was at the forefront of innumerable community service initiatives. He nurtured institutions which transformed the lives of the poor and downtrodden,” he added.
- Government modifies operational guidelines for Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna (PMFBY)
- Rajkot district panchayat member held taking Rs 2 lakh bribe
- Former President Dr Pranab Mukherjee delivers first lecture at IIM Ahmedabad as distinguished guest faculty
- Gujarat Assembly pays homage to late PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Shankersinh to work for anti-BJP coalition in Gujarat and elsewhere in upcoming Lok Sabha polls
- Withdrawal of Monsoon from Gujarat delayed Eighth time in a row