Surat dimaond traders arrested in China againOctober 23, 2013
Surat, 23 October 2013
Ahead of Diwali, 19 persons belonging to Indian diamond industry are arrested in China for smuggling of Rs. 250 crore diamonds. 3 of them are from family of Surat based diamond companies. Others are diamond industry employees from China and India. The arrests were made following arrest of a courier on Shenzhen border on 18 September. Most of the arrests were made on Monday this week. A team of 400 members strong anti smuggling team carried out an operation under which the arrests were made.
According to the details available, Hong Kong has no tax, while Shenzhen has provision of tax. Shenzhen based diamond traders travel to Hong Kong and source rough diamond from diamond dealers. They bring such diamonds to Shenzhen. The traders in Shenzhen hide diamonds in bag or in body ad sell them in China after polishing it in Shenzhen itself.
It should be mentioned that in year 2010, Surat and Mumbai’s 21 diamond traders were arrested in China and faced two years prison. Crores of Rupees had to be spent for their case and release. 3 Diamond traders involved in that case are still in Chinese prison.
- 19 associated with PAAS nabbed in Surat as preventive measure after last night's incidents
- 6 African students of Parul University in Gujarat nabbed for teasing a married woman and beating-up her husband
- Under the influence of two systems parts of Gujarat continues to get rain
- Live: Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressing prayer meeting of late former PM Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Radhika Merchant, would be fiance of Anant Ambani visits Somnath temple in Gujarat
- Hardik now seeks Satyagrah Chhavni ground in Gandhinagar for proposed indefinite fast