Gujarat Public Universities Bill-2023 passed in state assemblySeptember 16, 2023
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat Public Universities Bill – 2023 has been passed with a majority vote in the fifteenth assembly session. Under this act, 11 universities, including the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in Vadodara, Gujarat University in Ahmedabad, Sardar Patel University in Anand, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University in Surat, and others, have been incorporated.
Key Provisions of the Act
– The term of the University Chancellor shall be five years. Re-appointment for another five-year term as Chancellor of another university is possible after first term.
– The Act also establishes various authorities within the universities, with the Board of Management serving as the primary decision-making and policy authority. The Executive Council will manage day-to-day administration, while the Academic Council will play a crucial role in academic activities.
– The Act ensures uniformity in admission, study, and examination systems across 11 universities.
– The Governor of the state will serve as Chancellor in 10 public universities, while Shubhangini Raje Gaekwad will be the Chancellor and Chairperson of the Board of Management in MS University, Vadodara.
– The Act mandates 33% women members in the appointment of teachers, principals, university professors, and chairpersons.
– The Board of Management will replace the Senate and Syndicate in universities.
– Universities will have autonomy to initiate new programs, courses, grant degrees to external students, develop online courses, and conduct distance learning.
The implementation of this Act will eliminate antiquated and irrelevant statutory provisions, establishing a unified law applicable to all universities.
Whenever the UGC or any other significant body issues directives regarding higher education matters, these directives will be swiftly executed across the entire state through a streamlined process.
The initial draft of the Act was publicly accessible for 15 days, inviting suggestions. A total of 238 suggestions were received from 140 stakeholders. Of these, 30 suggestions have been incorporated into the Act, and 40 will be included in the statute or ordinance. Some suggestions deviate from the University Grants Commission’s provisions or pertain to policy changes. DeshGujarat
- PM Modi to dedicate Academic Building of Phase 1B at IIT Gandhinagar
- Bugs in food; Now Das Khaman facing allegation of insect in Chatni
- PM Modi to dedicate Surendranagar - Rajkot railway double track, other projects
- Ahmedabad Airport announces start of City taxi service
- ISRO launches INSAT 3DS, the latest generation Climate/Weather satellite
- Lioness dies in sea off Amreli coast; Death by drowning suspected
- Jamnagar court gives 2 years jail to film maker Rajkumar Santoshi in cheque bounce case