Mukesh Ambani elected as member of the National Academy of Engineering in the USFebruary 09, 2016
Shri Mukesh D Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director, Reliance Industries Ltd. has been elected as Member of the prestigious National Academy of Engineering in the US, “for engineering and business leadership in oil refineries, petrochemical products, and related industries.”
Being elected a member of the Academy is one of the highest honours for Engineers globally.
Since its establishment in 1964, the NAE has elected 232 Foreign Members – only 10 of them are Indian citizens. (There are a few people of Indian-origin in the US list of 2,277 members).
The process is: A nomination with a proposer and seconder has to be filed, and based on that the existing members will vote. There are several people who are nominated multiple times, but do not get elected.
Shri Mukesh D. Ambani has been elected the very first time he was nominated. The proposer was Dr. Raghunath Mashelkar.
Dr. Sam Pitroda has also been elected this year.
The other distinguished Indian engineers elected so far are:
1. Shri Ratan Tata (2013)
2. Dr. Pradip, TCS (2012)
3. Dr. P Ramarao, ARCI (2012)
4. Shri Narayana Murthy (2010)
5. Dr. PC Kapur, IIT Delhi (2009)
6. Prof. MM Sharma (2006)
7. Dr. RA Mashelkar (2003)
8. Dr. Roddam Narasimha, JNACSR (1989)
- Chief Minister lays stone of Gujarat Sports University headquarters on 130-acre near Vadodara
- ACB Gujarat nabs State GST staffer, CA for taking bribe from shop owner
- S. Murali Krishna appointed new Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat
- Water supply and filling of Tappar dam re-started slowly even as repair work of broken flooring of feeder canal also in progress
- Centre approves additional grant of Rs 1131 crore for Narmada project, Gujarat govt thanks the PM
- Kesar mango makes first presence of the season in Marketing yard