Dr. Kamla Beniwal appointed Governor of GujaratNovember 21, 2009
Dr. Kamla Beniwal appointed Governor of Gujarat
By our correspondent
Ahmedabad, DeshGujarat, 21 November, 2009
Tripura Governor Kamla Beniwal has been transferred and appointed as new Governor of Gujarat for remaining period of her term. Beniwal took oath as Tripura Governor last October only.
83-year-old Dr. Shrimati Kamla is wife of Late Shri Ramchandra Beniwal. A Jat by cast, she is daughter of shri Netram Singh(Leading freedom fighter of earstwhile Jaipur State). Born on 12th January, 1927 in Gorir village of Tehsil-Khetri, District-Jhujnjhunu, Shrimati Kamla studied MA(History) at Maharaja College in Jaipur and BA(Economics, Political Science & History) at Banasthali Vidyapeeth, Tonk in Rajasthan.
Dr. Kamla was the first woman minister in Rajasthan at the age of 27 and had been minister in Congress governments in Rajasthan with all chief ministers since 1954 for almost 50 years, holding almost all important portfolios, including home, education and agriculture. She was revenue minister in Ashok Gehlot government. She was former deputy chief minister of Rajasthan.She is the first woman governor from Rajasthan.
- At least 11, mostly Gujaratis dead, over 35 injured in two bus mishaps
- After review meeting CM Rupani says, extensive relief/rescue operations on, 214 saved
- Amid latest spell of heavy downpour Gujarat crosses half way mark of seasonal rain percentage
- Gujarat cadre IFS Bharat Lal appointed Joint Secretary to President of India
- Heavy rain in parts of Gujarat, several dams full, rescue operations launched, some major highways closed
- Forecast for rapid rise in water levels of rivers in Gujarat, MP, Rajasthan during 21-24 July