Some Computer clicks, and grow a tree in GujaratMay 31, 2010
Some Computer clicks, and grow a tree in Gujarat
by Karan Shah
Mumbai, DeshGujarat, 31 May, 2010
www.Grow-Trees.com, a social business that allows individuals and companies to plant trees has been launched.
The website has different projects across India including a 13,500 tree project in the Panchmahal district of Gujarat. 3,500 of these trees were already planted last year. The project area is populated by poor, rural communities who eke out a living through forest produce, animal husbandry and agriculture. The project has seen the active support and involvement of the local community, and needs your help to be completed.
The objective of this work is to get individuals to plant trees to celebrate special occasions or offset carbon and companies to plant trees to engage with employees or to honor customers. An electronic certificate is sent out to the designated recipient. Trees have myriad benefits. They sequester carbon and fight global warming, help in improving wildlife habitats and water catchment areas, help in preventing desertification; add to fodder and shade availability for nomads and their livestock, provide flower, fruit, fuel and fodder for village communities; and create rural jobs in the planting process.
The Jewish National Fund has planted over 240 million trees in the small and arid country of Israel since 1901. The founder of the business, Pradip Shah, who had founder CRISIL, wants to create a similar culture of growing trees among Gujaratis and Indians.
Author Karan Shah operates Grow-Trees.com
- They are betraying principles of Lohia, they will also betray people: PM Modi flaying 'socialist parties'
- Reliance denies sidestepping US sanctions
- Railway Board Chairman reviews progress of Bullet train project in Ahmedabad
- Narmada main canal water only for drinking purpose: Banaskantha collector warns citizens
- Congress councilors, office bearers join BJP in Bardoli: Kunvarji Halpati rejoin BJP in Mandvi
- 17 names for Congress candidature on Jamnagar Lok Sabha seat