HC issues notices to police officers over no FIR in Dr. Chag suicide caseMarch 16, 2023
Veraval: The Gujarat High Court has issued notices to police officers, including a Range Inspector General (IG), following a complaint from the family of a Dr. Atul Chag, who committed suicide in Gir Somnath district.
The family claimed that the police were not taking appropriate action, which they believed amounted to contempt of court.
On Wednesday, when the matter came up for hearing before a division bench of Justices NV Anjaria and Niral Mehta, public prosecutor Manan Mehta told the court that the police will take a final call about the registration of the FIR by Friday.
However, the court was not satisfied with this response and issued notices to the police officers to submit their replies by March 28.
Dr. Chag committed suicide on February 12, and his family submitted an application to the Veraval police to register an FIR against a BJP MP and his father after a suicide note purportedly written by Dr. Chag named them.
The police did not register the case under section 306 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for abetment to suicide, prompting Dr. Chag’s son to file a contempt petition last week.
The petitioner claimed that the directions given by the Supreme Court in the Lalita Kumari case regarding the registration of FIR were not followed in this case and that it amounted to contempt of court. DeshGujarat
- Watch | EAM Jaishankar on working with Gujarati people and represent Gujarat as MP
- Manisha Lavkumar, Mitesh Amin appointed as Additional Advocate General
- ACB Gujarat nabs Dy Sarpanch, Panchayat member in bribe case
- PM interacts with ITI-certified farmer from Bharuch, Gujarat
- Which food items India imports? Which food items it exports? How much?
- Nearly five times increase in mobile broadband subscribers in 10 years in Gujarat; BTS growth nearly 3-fold
- Long-pending completion of Patan's new bus port to take another 6 months