Dr Chag suicide case: Guj HC asks investigation officer to hire a private lawyerMarch 29, 2023
Veraval: The Gujarat High Court has instructed the investigating officer in the case of Dr Atul Chag’s alleged suicide to hire a private lawyer instead of being represented by the state’s public prosecutor.
Although government law officers typically defend government employees and officers in contempt proceedings using government funds, in certain cases, the court may order that they not be represented by government lawyers due to the possibility of future conflicts of interest.
Dr Chag’s son, Hitarth Chag, had filed a petition in HC seeking the initiation of civil contempt proceedings against police personnel for failing to register an FIR over the case.
The petition named Veraval police inspector Sunil Ishrani, who is the investigating officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police at Veraval VR Khengar, Superintendent of Police at Gir Somnath Manoharsinh Jadeja and DIG Mayanksinh Chavda as respondents.
The public prosecutor, Mitesh Amin, informed the court that the IO’s investigation concluded that “no cognisable offence” is made out under IPC section 306 (abetment of suicide).
Dr Chag was found hanging at his residence on February 12, and a purported suicide note was recovered from his residence. The note allegedly stated that BJP MP from Junagadh Rajesh Chudasama and his father Naran Chudasama had allegedly compelled him to take the extreme step. Although a case of accidental death was registered and a preliminary inquiry was instituted, no FIR has been registered to date.
The court has issued a notice to the respondents on March 15 and has kept it returnable for March 28. The matter has been posted for further hearing on April 11. DeshGujarat
- By 2025 ISRO aims to send humans into space and bring them back: S Somanath in Gujarat
- 'Be Patriotic' among 5 mantras Mukesh Ambani gives to graduated students
- India faces Energy Trilemma as it races to meet its energy goals: Mukesh Ambani at PDEU
- HM Amit Shah addresses Divyakant Nanavati 'Smruti Parv' in Junagadh
- Parking vehicle at Ahmedabad railway station's designated lot not safe
- PM to unveil Shivaji statue, witness Indian Navy demonstration in Maharashtra
- Railways floats Rs. 85 crore tender for broad-gauge to Amreli