Gujarat CM to unveil ‘Surat’, the first warship of Indian Navy to be named after a city of GujaratNovember 05, 2023
Surat: The Crest of Indian Navy’s latest, indigenous under-construction, guided missile destroyer, ‘Surat’, is scheduled to be unveiled by Bhupendra Patel, the Chief Minister of Gujarat in presence of Adm R Hari Kumar, the Chief of the Naval Staff, at a ceremony to be held in the city of Surat on 06 November 2023. Raksha Mantri, Shri Rajnath Singh had earlier launched this warship on 17 March 2022 at Mumbai. This is the first warship of Indian Navy to be named after a city of Gujarat and this is also the first time that unveiling of the crest of a warship is being undertaken in the very city after which it has been named.
Amongst the latest front line ‘Warship Projects’ under construction, the ‘Project 15B’ programme involves construction of four next generation stealth guided missile destroyers, of which ‘Surat’ is the fourth and the last ship. She is presently under construction at the Mazagon Docks Shipbuilders Ltd. Mumbai. Construction of this warship testifies the nation’s dedication to indigenous cutting-edge warship building technology and commitment to strategic military advancements.
— DeshGujarat (@DeshGujarat) November 5, 2023
It is a well-known fact that the city of Surat was the most important maritime trade link between India and many other countries from the 16th to the 18th century. The city was also a flourishing centre for ship building activities and the vessels built in Surat, during this period, were especially renowned for their longevity as some ships continued to be in service for more than 100 years. It is a maritime tradition and a naval custom according to which many of the Indian naval ships have been named after prominent cities of our nation. Indian Navy is therefore immensely proud of naming its latest and technologically the most advanced warship after the city of Surat. This is the first warship to be named after a city of Gujarat and this is also the first time that unveiling of the crest of a warship is being undertaken in the very city after which it has been named
The ceremony for unveiling the crest is being conducted under the aegis of Western Naval Command by Gujarat Naval Area and is scheduled to take place on the evening of 06 Nov 23, at Surat. DeshGujarat
- Speculations rife over another former Congress MLA joining BJP
- Gujarat CM performs ground breaking for 67 km long Ring Road of Vadodara; Inaugurates new District Collector office building
- UT Congress chief reacts to speculations that Priyanka Gandhi may contest from Diu Daman seat
- Narendrabhai Modi likely to lay foundation stone of 3 semiconductor plants on March 13
- Nitin Patel withdraws his claim for BJP ticket on Mahesana Lok Sabha seat
- Police complaint against IFB company's service guy for harassment to Hindu married woman
- Gujarat CM praises IPS Hasmukh Patel, asks new Govt recruits to earn same rapport