Suspension bridge to link Dwarka and Panchkua islandOctober 30, 2008
Suspension bridge to link Dwarka and Panchkua island
Dwarka/Gandhinagar, DeshGujarat, 30 October, 2008
Gujarat Government will soon commence its ambitious project of constructing a “suspension pedestrian bridge” connecting Dwarka town mainland’s Gomti Ghat and the picturesque Panchkua Island. Till now, pilgrims visiting Dwarka have had to access the sacred Panchkua Bet using country boats during high tide. But proposed “Sudama Setu(bridge)” when completed will facilitate round the clock smooth access to the PanchKua Bet. The PanchKua island adorned with a magnificent beach has ancient and mythological significance. A total of Rs4.36 crore will be spent on the project.
The government of Gujarat’s State Pilgrimage Development Board had envisaged The Sudama Setu project about three years ago but clearance from ASI was pending which is granted now.
The proposed bridge has been designed by an Ahmedabad-based architectural firm. The Dwarka Pilgrimage Committee, headed by the Jamnagar district collector, will act as a nodal agency in implementing the project. According to sources span of about 120 metres would be covered by a suspended walk-way which will be suspended on structural steel ropes to be supported by two large-scale pylons at both ends. The ropes will be embedded in RCC piers placed at a distance from both pylons.
On macro level the Gujarat Pavitra Yatra Dham Vikas Board, formed by the government of Gujarat has proposed a Rs7.5-crore project, in collaboration with a private firm, to develop the pilgrim places of Dwarka which are visited by nearly 10,000 people every day and more than 1 lakh tourists during festivals. The project has been divided into three parts: The temple campus development and pilgrim facility centre, the construction of Sudama Setu and the development of the Panchkua island.
- Live: Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2019 inaugural session from Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar
- Foreign president, Prime Ministers arrive in Gujarat for Vibrant Gujarat Summit
- Mukesh Ambani led RIL becomes first Indian private company to post Rs 10,000 crore quarterly profit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi opens 12-day Amdavad Shopping Festival
- ACB nabs Joint General Manager of Surat Airport taking bribe from contractor
- Mansukh Mandaviya undertakes PadYatra on 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi