Home » More » Text » Indian Railways senior citizen concession, new rules from June

Indian Railways senior citizen concession, new rules from June

Indian Railways senior citizen concession, new rules from June
Ahmedabad, 25 May, 2011

In a bid to provide maximum benefit to senior citizens, the Ministry of Railways has decided to increase the element of concession to 40% from existing 30% for male senior citizens who are above 60 years of age. The concessional fare of 40% will be applicable o­n tickets purchased o­n and after 1st June, 2011. In case of tickets already issued for travel on and after 1st June, 2011, refund of difference of fares will not be admissible.

In case of women senior citizens, the minimum age for availing senior citizens concession has been reduced to 58 years from the existing 60 years. The element of concession remains to be 50 per cent.

The concession to senior citizens is granted in the basic fares of Mail/Express trains and all inclusive fares of Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Jan Shatabdi trains.

Senior citizens are given concession through PRS(Passenger Reservation System) on demand(and not by default). In such case senior citizen has to carry some document showing proof of their age or date of birth, issued by any Government institution/Agency/Local Body. This may be in the form of an Identity Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Passport, Educational certificate, certificate from Local Bodies like Panchayat/Corporation/Municipality, or any other authentic and recognized document to be produced, if demanded by authorized Railway Official during the journey.

Comments

1. K.BABU SHANKAR says:

MY MOM DATE OF BIRTH 12-03-1956 ELIGEBLE OF SENIOR CITIZEN TO TRAVEL IN TRAIN PLEASE REPLY TO ME

2. a venkata ramana says:

Mr Rajkumar pl read the rule once again and under stand. sankar mom will complete her age of 58 yrs and attain age of 59 on 12.03.2014. she can avail the concession on 12.3.2014 but not before

3. K.Venkitarma Iyer says:

My date of birth is 28.11.1953, a Male. Am I eligible for concession?

4. lakkaraju hr says:

i am travelling with my relatives. their individual ticket cost is 365.i am aged 78 travelling along wth them. what will be the cost of my ticket and aother child age of travelling with us. what is the ticket fare of the child

5. d.mruthyumjayarao says:

my birthday is 12-7-1953 am i eligible for concession. t am a male passenger

6. kshatriya durgasingh d. birth 1- 07 1954 says:

i am eliglr for consession

7. VinothKumar says:

Dear Frd,

Which Type of Id Proof show the Senior Citizen Passengers. Pls Reply me

8. a.jani says:

Pl. tell me is there any provision of concession for the person travelling with senior citizen who many not be senior citizen ?

9. jagdishtapish says:

senior citizans concession tickets-is allowed or not in passenger-or express train -under short distence under 50 kilo meters-journy

10. jagdishtapish says:

senior citizans concession tickets are allowed or not allowed under distence of 50 kilo meter journy in passenger or express trains ?

11. Shankar Kandi says:

What if a senior citizen travelling on consession fails to produce age proof?

12. rajanikant r komre says:

my mother inlaw age is 51 years can she is able to get senior citizenship consession

13. Harsh meghani says:

My mother date of birth is 11/11/1955 is eligible for sr. Citizen in indian railways

14. T.Rajasekharan says:

Is the fare concessions for sn.citisons is applicable to short distance travell?

15. john koshy says:

if by mistake somebody booked a ticket as as sr. citizen, at the time of producing the ID proof during travelling if found, what will be the penality.

16. S V SUBBARAO says:

Is there concession for senior citizens travelling on passenger trains beyond 500 Kms on a route where express/Mail trains are not available?

17. husen says:

is NRI senior citizen also have concession in railway ticket booking?

18. Priyanshu says:

see this for all details;

indianrail.gov.in/conc_Rules.html

19. PRAKASHBHAI JOGANI says:

20. lokesh d. says:

my mother age will be 61 yrs. if she travel in 3rd AC what discount percentage she gets as a senior citizen

21. JAYANTI VEDI says:

MY MOTHER IS TRAVELLING WITH ME FROM MUMBAI UNTIL NASIK SHE IS 80YRS OLD AND AS SUCH DO NOT HAVE ANY DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE WITH REGARD TO HER AGE. DO I STILL HAVE TO PRODUCE PROOF OF AGE THEN?

22. akshay says:

I am completing 59 yrs in October 2013 and intend to purchase a ticket for December 2013 so what age should be mentioned on the railway reservation form.

23. yeshwant says:

i want to travel whole india by sleeper class indian rail.is there any guard,security provided by that express train in sleeper class?..what precautions should i take to enjoy my tour safely?

24. P.K.Ramchandran says:

Whether a person should attain 60 for male or 58 for female as the case may be on the date of booking the ticket or whether he can avail the concession on the date of travel when he will become 60 or 58 as the case may be

• SNIGDHENDU BIKAS BARDHAN says:

My date of birth is 16/01/1955 and in case of my wife the date of birth is 21/06/1969.
      In which date we shall be treated as senior citizen to get the concession of railway fare on the ground of Senior Citizen.
      What is the percentage of concession presently are provided.

25. harish says:

My birthday is 12-11-1954 am i eligible for concession. I am a male passenger.

26. Raghu says:

Sir,
    My mother age is 67 and she is cancer patient. can she gets benefits of both senior citizen and concession of cancer patients.

27. S.JAYARAMAN says:

I am a male completing 60 years on 10-04-2014 and I would like travel on 4-5-2014 and I want to book my ticket in the first week of February 2014. So, I like to know if I am eligible for availing concession 40% fare as applicable for senior citizens.Kindly reply.

28. sunil dehade says:

IF BY MISTAKE SOMEBODY BOOKED A TICKET AS AS SR. CITIZEN, AT THE TIME OF PRODUCTION THE ID PROOF DURING TRAVELLING IF FOUND HE WAS NOT SR. CITIZEN , WHAT WILL BE PENALITY.my mother in law birth date 15/5/1956 tell me she is sr.citizen

29. S V SETTY says:

PL DISPLAY SR CITIZENS AGE LIMITS IN ALL RAILWAY STATION PLAT FORMS. SINCE AGE FOR WOMEN CONCESSION AGE IS 58.IN GENERAL NO BODY POINTS IT OUT THINKING REQUIRED AGE IS 60 PLUS. DISPLAY BOARDS AS 58 PLUS WOMEN SR CITIZEN CONCESSION

30. jyoti p mehta says:

my date of birth is 13/10/1956 I am eligible for senior citizen for booking railway tickit

31. mithu patel says:

Dear madam
    I birth dec, 1953. csn i get conceson even if I manglik

32. Kannan says:

My mother aged 85 years can be identified to be a senior citizen bust by sight. However, there is not ID proof for her. However, in the card issued by the Employees State Insurance Corporation, including the family members, her photo appears and age is also there. Can she avail senior citizen concession? Can that fall under the category “document showing proof of their age or date of birth, issued by any Government institution/Agency/Local Body” cited in the Rules.

33. DilipMasher says:

my wife b date is 1-2-1957 ——is she elligible foe female sr.citizen in railway

34. mantosh giri says:

hello, My mom is a army widow person and she has own army widow Proof, my question can she get any benefit /discount in her reservation ticket?

35. mantosh giri says:

hello, My father age 60+, can he will get any discount in his resurrection ticket? and how much % ?

36. GAJANAN MEHENDALE says:

at the time of railway reservation at reservation counter any proof of senior-citizen ship is required? if in the names of 6 persons on one form there are one or two are senior citizens, whether the family person booking the tkt requires senior citizen proofs of concerned names.

37. jai bhagwan sharma says:

Senior citizens concession in garib rath

38. siva says:

Is senior citizen concession available for tatkal tickets

39. chandan kumar says:

my father date of birth is 03/09/1954,does he eligible for senior citizen in indian railway?