Goods train catches fire on Bharuch Narmada bridge,engine burntMarch 03, 2010
Goods train catches fire on Bharuch Narmada bridge,engine burnt
By our correspondent
Bharuch, DeshGujarat, 2 March, 2010
In an unprecedented train fire in the state, a train carrying chemical fertilizer caught fire near Bharuch railway station in central Gujarat late on Wednesday evening. The train was going to Bhusawal in Maharashtra from Gandhidham in Kutch.
Due to timely action, most of the wagons carrying fertilizer were saved from catching fire. There was no loss of lives in the fire. However the engine was totally burnt. The exact cause of fire would be known only after an inquiry by railway experts.
The engine in flames was over a bridge. This position of engine made it difficult for fire-fighters to tackle the fire effectively. However after employing great amount of efforts the engine could be separated from rest of the part of the train. The other engine was employed then after to pull wagons untouched by fire. As an overhead power cable was totally burnt, the rail traffic between Ahmedabad and Mumbai was seriously affected. This also resulted into cancellation or delay of several trains including August Kranti Express, Garib Rath train. Gujarat Queen, Dehradun, Ranakpur Express, Kutch Express, Mumbai-Ahmedabad Local, Saurashtra Express, Gujarat Express, Lokshakti Express, Arvalli Express, Avantika Express etc.
Railway authorities were trying to restore the damaged railway line at the earliest. One railway track was opened for railway traffic before midnight.
- Vadodara hit and run case accused released on bails within hours after surrender
- Parul University account clerk found dead; his letter reveals 'wrongdoings' of management
- Construction of new Narmada Maiya bridge in Bharuch 75% over
- ED seizes luxurious cars of Nirav Modi and his companies
- Udhna - Jalgaon double line project in final phase; Surat to benefit from it
- EPFO cuts interest rate on EPF to 8.55% from 8.65%