Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha qualified for the London OlympicsJune 27, 2011
Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha qualified for the London Olympics
Ahmedabad, 27 June, 2011
With impressive performances at the 18th Dublin International Grand Prix of Race Walking, Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha has qualified for the 20 km walk at the 2012 London Olympics along with other Indian sportsman Gurmeet Singh.
Babubhai and Singh have also made the cut for the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea from August 27.
National champion Gurmeet Singh clocked 1:22:05, finishing 9th in the 20km event held at Phoenix Park, Dublin Sunday. Gurmeet bettered the ‘A’ standard of Olympic qualification 1:22:30.
Babubhai Panocha returned a personal best of 1:23:04 and finished 11th. He bettered the ‘B’ standard of qualification (1:24:30). China’s Wang Zhen (1:19:46) won the event.
The race was held under trying conditions with a heat wave making it difficult for the competitors to finish the race. Only seven of the 18 walkers completed the race. Finland’s Antti Kempas won the race in 4:02:37.
- Bodies of 5 black-bucks found near chemical factory in Gujarat
- Man pretending as BJP office bearer does stunt for news coverage; party issues clarification
- Rupani in 7 chief ministers’ committee of Niti Aayog for MANREGA in agriculture
- Farmer's tractor rallies in Surat to oppose bullet train project, in Amreli against mining mafias
- Dr. Jigishaben Sheth is new Mayor of Vadodara, Jivraj Chauhan her deputy
- Former MLA Nalin Kotadia declared absconder in bit coin extortion and kidnap case