Bhuj’s Hamirsar lake overflows, Kutch starts celebrating itAugust 08, 2010
Bhuj’s Hamirsar lake overflows, Kutch starts celebrating it
Bhuj, DeshGujarat, 8 August, 2010
In Gujarat’s Kutch district, a 500-year-old Hamirsar lake of capital town Bhuj is so important for locals that, they celebrate whenever this lake overflows during monsoon. The people of Bhuj town observe one-day holiday after Hamirsar lake overflows.
On Sunday, when the lake was full of water, the news spread like wild fire. Many people were thronging the talav, performing puja on its banks, hundreds were pouring in just for a dekko…
Local body has declared a ceremony to celebrate Hamirsar’s water on Monday.
Records at the district collectorate say the talav has overflown just 18 times since Independence, all joyous occasions, enough for the administration to declare an official holiday.
Hundreds of Kutchis settled abroad are calling Bhuj to confirm this news. The Hamirsar overflowing has sent ripples of joy all across.
- Railway Board Chairman reviews progress of Bullet train project in Ahmedabad
- Narmada main canal water only for drinking purpose: Banaskantha collector warns citizens
- Congress councilors, office bearers join BJP in Bardoli: Kunvarji Halpati rejoin BJP in Mandvi
- 17 names for Congress candidature on Jamnagar Lok Sabha seat
- Water enough for two-month use added to Ranjitsagar dam through SAUNI
- Hitesh Patel, wanted in Vadodara based Sterling Biotech case detained in Albania